1. Grants and scholarships
- Scholarships for public universities are usually administered by the institutions themselves. Therefore, you should refer to the website of the university you are interested in for more information
- The state also provides a fundo de Apoio ao Estudante (student support fund) for study at private institutions. . Allocation of these grants are determined by competitive examination.
- Your course/establishment must be recognized by the Portuguese Ministry of Education is order to be eligible for governemtn grants.
- Grants are available from the Camões Institute for summer or annual courses to study Portuguese language and culture or to do research in these ares.
- Search for funding opportunities at PLOTEUS.
2. Helpful websites for studying or working
- General information:
3. General application deadlines
- There is no deadline information given but it is advisable to apply as soon as possible. The main intake for studies at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD programs for Portuguese universities and polytechnics takes place in September, right before the beginning of the academic year.
4. Student visa process and deadlines
- Student Visa:
An application form and list of required documentation for a student visas can be found at: http://www.embassyportugal-us.org/visa. According to this website, the processing time is 2 to 4 weeks. Documents required to obtain a visa include:
- Valid passport expiring no earlier than three months after your return home. At least one blank visa page.
- Completed application form
- One passport size photograph in colour
- Copy of your travel itinerary with acceptance letter or confirmed reservation.
- Valid ticket or other proof of departure arrangements.
- Proof of sufficient financial means to support yourself during you stay.
- Proof of health insurance coverage
- Residence Permit:
Once in Portugal, you will need to apply for a residence permit at SEF. Please see their website for more details and to download forms: http://www.sef.pt/portal/V10/EN/aspx/apoioCliente/index.aspx?spand=2#0. Required documentation for a residence permit include:
- A letter of acceptance from your higher education institution indicating your admittance for full-time education
- A copy of the pages in your passport where personal data can be read.
- Three recent passport-sized photos
- Police record of good conduct
- A copy of your health insurance plan
- A bank statement or copy of your grant/scholarship stating you can support yourself financially throughout your time as a student in Portugal
- An application fee for a residence visa – 80 EUR, and application for residence permit 60 EUR
- Your residence visa, which will allow you to enter Portuguese territory in order to apply for your residence permit.